Thursday, October 13, 2016

Is Personality Passed Down?

Josiah got to be a real hand full this year, even moreso than normal.  He was getting more and more out of control and we were in and out of the psychiatrist's office non-stop for a couple of weeks trying to get a handle on his behaviors.  The psychiatrist came out of her office while I was checking out and came over to me and she put her hand on my back and she said "there is a special place in Heaven for people like you that take in these broken children and have it so hard, I don't know if you are a believer or not, but I just wanted you to know."  I looked up at her choking on tears and said "I do believe...that's the only way that I get through some of this."  I asked her a question about genetics and wondering if something was passed down.  She answered me and said to me "honey, I deal with other adoptive parents and the parents are nothing like the kids that they are dealing with, so you can't tell me that personality is not passed down...nature wins over nurture sometimes, but don't stop."  I still ponder that one sometimes.  I'm not willing to stop praying for heart change though, as I know my God can do all sorts of things and I know if there's heart change, there will be personality change too.

No comments:

Post a Comment