Sunday, October 16, 2016

A hospital stay and a plan...

Josiah really struggled behaviorally at school...the end of the school year is always a very trying time.  However, he began on a path of self-injury behaviors and threats to others that we just could not ignore.  We went back and forth to our own psychiatrist several times trying to make med changes and the behaviors continued and I was getting several calls from school over his behavior and concerns over the things he was saying/doing until finally I didn't know what else to do but to take him in to be evaluated at the hospital.  They kept him for 9 days...I didn't eat or sleep much.  We were only allowed to see him 3 days a week and only at certain times.  It was rough and I hated every minute of it.  I did meet an angel while we were in there though.  One of the workers came in to do paperwork with us and got to talking to our son.  He told him that he was black and had been adopted by a caucasian family too.  He said that he got angry and got into some trouble, but he realized later that he was angry because he didn't know how his birth family could have given him up.  Josiah really didn't say much, but I started to cry.  The gentleman told me that he'd talk with him and that he knew that we just really wanted what was best for our son.  I felt like God sent him on our path for reassurance for both of us and that our son could have someone to possibly relate to.

When he got out, they wanted him to do their day treatment program for 4-6 weeks.  I felt like the daily accountability for his behavior was really good for him, but sadly once he was done things went back to the way they were and we struggled all summer with him.  It got to the point where we could hardly go anywhere as we never knew what was going to set him off and what would happen.  We had a pretty big incident happen at the pool and it pretty much put summer at a stand still for everyone.  Back to the doctor we went.  I kept praying.  His behavior only continued to escalate.  After one day of taking them to the movies and then to get treats afterwards, he asked to do something and after all the money I spent taking them out, we didn't have anymore to do anything else and I told him that would have to come at a different day.  He threw a fit in the car, I managed to get him in the house without running and he went up to his room and broke his window....on purpose.  Came out bragging about it thinking that was going to get him his way.  I made an appointment with our counselor that moved her practice 5 hours away, but who had been with us since the beginning.  We drove out to see her and she had recommended before that we place him in a residential treatment center so he could work on his issues.  She had suggested it a couple of times actually, but we didn't want to do that before and fought it with everything we had to keep him in our home.  However, I told her that I think I was ready to look at placement for him.  I couldn't live like this anymore and hubby and I were in agreement.  I'll share that in another was totally a God thing and He deserves the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment